Friday, May 13, 2011

Author Interview: Kathi Oram Peterson

Kathi Oram Peterson is one of my favorite others and I had so much fun interviewing her! She is such a sweet lady and very talented writer!  I read her first book The Forgotten Warrior in one night! I couldn't put it down! Be sure to go get her books and follow her on her blog here.
I Hope you all enjoy reading this interview as much as I did! 

1. Can you tell me a little about yourself?
As you probably know I love to write books. In books I can travel the world, have a black belt in karate, meet ancient prophets in the Book of Mormon and the Bible, ride a horse high in the Tetons, and bravely track down a killer. Away from my stories though, I love just hanging out with my family watching movies, shopping, or playing golf. I have a little Yorkie named Elizabeth Bennett (yes, I love Jane Austen and her book, Pride and Prejudice), but we call her Lizzie. She's my little buddy.

2.What inspired you to become a writer?
I've always loved reading stories, but it wasn't until after I had my first child that I seriously thought of writing a book. I'd read all the books that I had and all of my mother's when she told me I should try and write a novel of my own. That started me on a very long, long journey to publication, but finally I made it.

3. What do you do when you aren't writing your latest book?
I love going to the movies. A good movie pulls you into the story, much like a novel, and for two hours you can forget all your troubles and either laugh, cry, or become scared to death. I also enjoy golfing with my husband. Don't tell him, but I have more fun driving the cart around the course than actually swinging my club. 

4.  How long does it take you to write a book?
There's a lot that goes into writing a novel. The rough draft takes several months, but then I like to let the book sit for a while. After a month or so I'll go back and re-read it, editing and filling in  holes as I go. After that I have some close writer friends read the book for me. They have a good eye for places that may need more clarification. Once they are finished, I will then send it to my editor. Depending on the book this may take six months to a year.

5.What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? 
It never ceases to amaze me how my characters will take over the story. And you pretty much have to let them. That doesn't mean I don't outline and have a good idea of where the story needs to go, but I try to be flexible so I can be true to my characters.  

6. How many books have you written?
I have several novels that haven't been published yet. I'm always hopeful that I can fix them. After May I will have four published novels. Do you have a favorite? Of course. It's always the one that was just released. :) Actually I love each one of my books. I've lived their stories right along with them. I've cried when they cried, laughed when they laughed. I think every author leaves part of themselves in each book.

7. Who is one (or some) of your favorite author(s) and why? 
There are so many. I have been very fortunate to know many talented authors, some are very good friends. But one author that I met briefly whose stories were a great influence on me was Mary Higgins Clark.

8. Do you have any suggestions for other writers who hope to one day publish their book?
The best advice I could give them is to believe in themselves. Look at each rejection as a stepping stone that will make your writing stronger. I have a file folder full of rejections. I look at them with pride for they helped me grow and learn.

9. Do you have a favorite compliment you have received on your writing?
I have the best fans. I love hearing from them. I do remember one young woman who wrote to me about The Forgotten Warrior. She told me that reading my book inspired her to read the Book of Mormon. For me, that was the highest compliment ever.

10. Growing up did you ever want to be anything other than an author? 
I wanted to be a mother. My family comes first with me. But other than that, I've always wanted to be a writer.

11. What makes this book so different from your others? 
The Forgotten Warrior and The Stone Traveler were both young adult time travels. I loved writing those books. An Angel on Main Street was a little Christmas story that I had to write because it reminded me of my hometown. River Whispers is a romantic suspense, which is totally different from my other novels.

12. Tell me about this book.
I got the idea for this book coming home from a fishing trip with my sister. She asked me what I was going to write about next. Thinking over where we'd just been I told her, "A woman who while fishing finds a dead man in the willows." The idea took off from there. I absolutely love the main character, Regi Bernard. She's a woman who speaks her mind and has a hard time controlling her temper, but underneath she has a tender heart. Here's the book trailer for River Whispers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtd3yR8OeDE

13. What can we look forward to seeing next from you?
Last month I turned in the sequel to The Forgotten Warrior. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my publisher will buy it, but if they don't I'm determined to find that book a home, so stay tuned about that. I just finished the rough draft of a book with the working title Raven Spirit. It's another romantic suspense and takes place in Alaska. Right now, I'm working on a YA time travel with the working title Chasing the Star. I thought this would be a two book story, but I've decided to make it one book. It takes a sister and brother back in time. The girl finds herself with a Roman soldier and the boy finds himself with a shepherd family. I'm very hopeful you'll see more of my novels.

Thanks Kathi! This was fun! Hope you all enjoyed this!

No comments:

Post a Comment